Friday, February 5, 2010

moooooooooooooon priiiiiiiism pooooooooooooower!

IF THE PICS DON'T WORK BECAUSE THEY'RE REALLY BIG, JUST CLICK ON THEM
A recent popular Lolita blogging topic has been on the subject of princesses. Does Lolita make you feel like a princess? Do you consider yourself a frilly princess waiting to be rescued by her prince? But what about those who don’t worship at the feet of Disney princesses like many girls do? Who do we have to look up to? While reading these blog entries I’ve wondered that myself. Growing up I wasn’t one of those girls who’s rooms were decked out in princess gear, much to my mother’s dismay. I never played dress up. I was one of those girls who would fuss when my mom tried to put me into something girly. Princesses who needed to be rescued by a prince never appealed to me. Looking back, I wasn’t a girly girl, I grew up mostly with male cousins and my comic book loving dad being my best friend. But what kind of princess would a child like me look up to? Certainly not that of the head to toe pink clad Disney princesses. I needed a princess who I could relate to, and did things that would wow me. Only one such princess could do the job, Sailor Moon.(some consider her more super hero than princess, BUT W/E SHE’S A PRINCESS IN MY EYES SO SUCK IT HARD)

The synopsis of Sailor Moon is as follows(according to the most reliable source on the internet, wikipedia):
“The protagonist of Sailor Moon, Usagi Tsukino, an ordinary ditzy middle-school girl - or so she herself thinks, at least - discovers a talking cat named Luna, who reveals Usagi's identity as "Sailor Moon" a special warrior whose destiny it is to save the planet Earth, and later the entire galaxy. Supposedly, Usagi is the reincarnation of the Moon Princess. Now, Usagi must protect Earth from a series of bad guys, beginning with a Dark Kingdom that had appeared once before, long ago, and destroyed the kingdom of the moon. Usagi's dormant powers are then awakened (under Luna's guidance) to defend the Earth against the coming onslaught.”

When it comes to Sailor Moon, many old memories come flashing back. My sister and I would get up around 6 in the morning, just to catch the show before we went to school. I had all the merch, from shirts to book bags. My doll of choice was that of Queen serenity, even though her body measurements were way off, making it impossible to find clothes for her…..plus she had no nose. My dad would travel into New Jersey and into Chinatown with me, just so I could find merchandise in stores. Hell, I still have the bed sheets my mom bought me at a flea market one year.

So why does this one particular character kick every other princess’ ass in my book? I’ll tell you why!

She’s a normal girl
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
She’s a normal who does normal things. She goes to school, plays video games, eats more than she should, and hangs out with her friends.

Like me, she’s a klutz and a spaz
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Something you would never see a Disney princess do, make an ass out of yourself. Sailor Moon does just that, she falls and does other spastic things. Which is probably why I related to her at a young age, being the spastic child that I was.

She’s the dorky, kinda ok looking, girl with the hot boyfriend. And when in his Tuxedo Mask form, he doesn‘t completely save the day, he helps her.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
C’mon, Darien was a fox in the show, even if he was animated. In battle, sometimes Tuxedo mask comes in to save the day. But many times he comes in to lend a helping hand and to work besides the sailor scouts. Unlike most princesses who’ll sit back and let the men do the work, so they won’t get their dresses dirty.

SHE DOUBLES AS A PRINCESS AND A SUPER HERO, WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
She can kick you butt, save the universe, get the guy in the end, and still be the most bad ass princess ever.

Plus, Sailor Moon had some of the most beautiful artwork I’ve ever seen for an anime.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. *o* Thank the lord someone else sees Sailor Moon as a princess!

    The artwork really is the most beautiful I've ever seen of an anime... and Sailor Moon kicks some major booty. Princesses can be powerful, too! (x

    ReplyDelete